The Latin America and the Caribbean Climate Week - UNFCCC
Side event: “Unlocking finance for urban and territorial climate resilience : the transformative role of Subnational development banks”
on Thursday May 13th 2021, 9:00 AM EDT - 15:00 CEST
Register here : https://unfccc.int/climate-action/regional-climate-weeks/latin-america-and-caribbean-climate-week-2021
This side event of the LACCW 2021 in preparation of the COP 26 will demonstrate the transformative role of Subnational Development Banks (SDBs) and their Alliance in Latin America and the Caribbean to finance a just transition toward climate-neutral and resilient cities and territories. SDBs are public banks mandated to provide financing to local governments and subnational entities such as SMEs. As a financial intermediary, they play a unique role acknowledged by the international community to bridge the systemic failure of subnational financial markets and the urban infrastructure investment gap. The event will showcase inspiring experiences of SDBs and their cooperation with Development finance institutions and Local governments in:
- Channelling and aligning financial flows to “localize” the National Determined Contributions.
- Unlocking finance for smart and climate-conscious infrastructure projects and local policies.
- Sergio GUSMÃO SUCHODOLSKI
President, Banco de Desenvolvimento de Minas Gerais - BDMG
- Eduardo PAES, Mayor, Rio de Janeiro (tbc)
- Philippe ORLIANGE, Director, Regional Division for Brazil & Argentina, French Development Agency - AFD
- Maria Amparo ARANGO, Vice President Financiera De Desarrollo Territorial S.A - FINDETER
- Jorge Saba ARBACHE, Vice President for Private Sector, Corporación Andina de Fomento- CAF
Moderated by: Émilie MAEHARA, Deputy Executive Director Global Fund for Cities Development - FMDV